They may not be much to look at. However, your gutters play a crucial part in protecting your house from the elements. Gutters help keep your house secure and safe. They direct away water from the foundations, doors, windows, and walls.
Unfortunately, you might not notice the problem until it is too late if any part of the system is defective.
If you maintain your gutters properly, they will last for around 20 years. Though a couple of problems might be obvious in dry weather, some might only become apparent during heavy rain.
Professionals recommend that you inspect your gutters twice a year. When inspecting your gutters, here are some signs to look for. If you notice some of these signs, don’t hesitate to hire Georgetown gutter works for help.
Signs Coming from Your Home
Keep in mind that some indications can be found around your property. These signs indicate issues with your gutter system.
- Hard landscaping or lawns is being cracked or eroded regularly
- The basement floods regularly during heavy rain or has indications of mold/mildew
- Mildew/mold, marks, or water stains on exterior doors and walls
- Wood rotting or exterior paint peeling
- Water pooling around the foundations
Less Obvious Indications of Gutter System Damage
There are also a couple of subtle signs that might indicate an issue:
- Icicles are forming from the gutters during winter
- Animals are nesting in the gutters
- Things are growing out of the gutters
- Spills over from the gutters when the rain has stopped
- Water leaks from parts of the gutters where it should not be
- There is pooling water in the gutters even after the rain
- Gutters are constantly overflowing during heavy rain
- You notice connectors, screws, or nails on the ground
Most Noticeable Indications of Damage
There are a couple of noticeable signs that your gutters system is damaged:
- Nails sticking out or popping from the gutters
- Gaps between the gutter connections, facia boards, or junctions with downpipes to which they’re connected
- Gutters are dented or bent
- Sagging gutters, pulling or separating away from the house, leaning away or hanging down from the walls
- Rust spots, holes, or cracks in the gutters
Aside from these noticeable indications, you also have to pay attention to the behavior of your gutter system during heavy rain. You need to listen to how the rainwater is flowering through the system.
Your gutters are probably clogged and not able to do their job properly if you can hear rainwater hitting the ground.
Keep in mind that leaves and other debris can accumulate in the gutters over time. However, it’s quite easy to clean them. Thus, it is crucial to regularly inspect your gutters for clogs.
Since your gutters are located on your roof, you’ve got to make sure you follow safety measures when checking them. If you don’t have the right tools to inspect your gutters safely, you should consider hiring a professional gutter company for help.
Whenever you notice at least a small problem with your gutter system, you should fix it right away to prevent further issues down the line.